[lbo-talk] Geithner Plan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 10 13:38:51 PST 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Shane Taylor wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> You could think of the Treasury as contributing equity and
>> the Fed, debt. It seems a little loopy to me, in an era of
>> deleveraging.
>
> It circumvents Congress, no

It does, but I don't think the most urgent need for the U.S. economy right now is borrowing to finance fresh borrowing. It should be to promote an orderly deleveraging, a humane austerity program (meaning that it should fall on the top 5-10%), and a long-term transition away from consumption and towards (social) investment.

Doug