[lbo-talk] Krugman answers Obama on nationalization

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Wed Feb 11 13:55:19 PST 2009

[Krugman:]

[Obama's] two main arguments aren’t actually very good. Yes, we have thousands of banks — but the problems are concentrated in a handful of big players. In fact, the Geithner plan, such as it is, already acknowledges this: the “stress test” is to be applied only to banks with assets over $100 billion, of which there are supposed to be around 14.

And the argument that our culture won’t stand for nationalization — well, our culture isn’t too friendly towards bank bailouts of any kind. Yet those bailouts are necessary; and even in America they may be more palatable if taxpayers at least get to throw the bums out.

Oh, and not a week goes by without the FDIC taking several smaller banks into receivership. Nationalization is actually as American as apple pie.

<http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/obama-on-nationalization/>