[lbo-talk] CBO on HR 1

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Feb 12 14:28:55 PST 2009

SA writes:

> Marvin Gandall wrote:
>
>> Why would those losing their jobs and homes and income stop asking
>> government to come to their aid? They'd leave the debates about the
>> efficacy - ie. the "idea" - of stimulus to the economists and
>> politicians.
>
> I think the reverse is true. People tend to see the stimulus as an
> abstract "economic issue" - as in, will it be "good for the economy"? They
> don't tend to think primarily about whether it will benefit them
> personally.
====================================== I think we're both in agreement that the stimulus package remains an abstraction for most people.

But I suspect they're telling pollsters it doesn't affect them personally because they're for the most part unfamiliar with it's provisions and not inclined to think it has any relevance to their particular situation. People like to think of themselves - and have others see them - as self-reliant individuals who have no need of "government handouts".

Unless and until, that is, they truly have such a need. I imagine the jobless or economically insecure and those facing foreclosure are paying pay much closer attention because it is in their immediate self-interest to do so.

If the crisis deepens and spreads and official unemployment, to take only one measure, hits double digits, I expect pollsters will find much larger numbers who think government spending, aka, "stimulus", does affect them directly.