[lbo-talk] "great" "conservative" movies

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Fri Feb 13 11:07:25 PST 2009

Doug Henwood posted:

> The National Review = Movie Geniuses
>
> Film Criticism has reached its pinnacle in the form
> of The National Review's "Best Conservative Movies
> of the last 25 Years."

[Jon Swift:]

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 The Triumph of Derrièrism

Last year I identified an important new school of film criticism, which I called “derrièrism,” since all schools of film criticism are supposed to have French names. Derrièrists are inspired by Jack Warner (though some say it was Harry Cohn), who once said that he judged movies by whether his ass shifted in the seat while he was watching them. Like Warner (or Cohn), a derrièrist film critic judges movies by his ass. As I wrote last year: "Derrièrists are tired of liberal elites telling us what is good for us. They are tired of movies that are depressing and pretentious and difficult." At the time Variety magazine hailed derrièrism as “provocative” theory and said my piece “represents to some degree the thinking of the younger male online film community that recently voted for their Top 100 films,” whose virtues I extolled in my piece. While derrièrism was once an esoteric school of film criticism championed by a few forward-thinking

critics, this year it has triumphed. Not only has Andrew Breitbart, the conservative Hollywood critic behind Breitbart.com, announced that he will start a new website, Big Hollywood, which promises to be a hotbed of derrièrist film criticism, such respected film critics as Roger Ebert and the critics at Cahiers du Cinema have jumped on the derrièrist bandwagon.

[....]

<http://jonswift.blogspot.com/2008/12/triumph-of-derrirism.html>