[lbo-talk] Great Conservative Films

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Feb 13 18:05:42 PST 2009

Tucker yes, also Mosquito Coast (maybe libertarian, not a bad flick). Nobody has mentioned On the Waterfront.

Brazil is really anarchist, brilliant too IMO. I haven't seen the ones mentioned below, or if I have I don't remember them.

It seems almost ridiculous to debate the message of Ghostbusters, which I find hysterically funny every time I watch it. But you could say the victory over Vigo in one of them was based on an ocean of love descending on the city, not quite a conservative notion. Groundhog Day? I have no idea what they're thinking about.

I like Dennis' point about The Lives of Others, but I don't think you can escape the dreary gray pallor put on East German social life, aside from the doings of the secret police. I still think it's a good film.

Narnia, more Christian than conservative. There's no money in it, after all. Lord of the Rings, sure if you buy that the Orcs are an industrial society. Otherwise it's just sword and sandal stuff. Heartbreak Ridge, yes it's conservative, but hackwork celebrating the great victory over Grenada. Like Red Dawn, conservative and pathetic. A bunch mentioned are so bad they are hardly worth talking about.

I saw Gran Torino; politically your could make a liberal argument for it. I couldn't say why without giving away the story, though I could say it showcases a reconciliation between new and old immigrants.

Dark Knight is very good but I don't see the politics in it at all.

One interesting case to me is Apocalypse Now, which I've seen several hundred times. Liberal or conservative?

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of James Heartfield Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 5:49 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Great Conservative Films

putting a word in for Elstree. I would nominate for the great conservative films awards:

1. The man in the white suit 2. I'm alright Jack 3. The third Man 4. Passport to Pimlico 5. The Angry Silence 6. Hell Drivers (1957) 7. The Entertainer 8. The High Bright Sun (1964)

There is a film of the life of Ayn Rand with Helen Mirren,which, though low budget, is not bad