[lbo-talk] great movies -- was: "great" "conservative" movies

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 08:53:33 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 7:17 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> So, as long as y'all are on the topic of movies, if you want to tell me
> about "great" movies of any type, I'll be reading and filing them away to go
> rent some time.

On his website Roger Ebert has a list of "Great Movies". Not all of them are masterpieces by any means, but at least they all have some significance as cultural references and touchstones. You could do a lot worse.

<http://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#inbox/11f774d6bed5b8ad>

Also, the AV Club has had a weekly column called "The New Cult Canon", and while they're not all for everybody, I haven't wished for my time back from what I've seen of them (though I think I'll skip Irréversible).

<http://www.avclub.com/features/the-new-cult-canon/>

-- Andy