[lbo-talk] Notes Towards a Critiq8ue of Progress (1)

Charles Brown cdb1003 at prodigy.net
Sun Feb 15 13:34:32 PST 2009

So, we could have predicted (ex-ante)that 1) at many times in the future, there would occur changes in the earth's environment ; 2)at many times in the future there would occur random mutations in the existing species gonadal genes ;3) the now existing "lower" species would be less able than some of its mutant forms to adapt to some of the changes in the environment; 4) some better adapting, mutant forms' difference from the existing "lower" forms would be the characteristic of being "higher" 5) Those "higher" characteristics would be a better adaption to one or many of the changes in the environment

^^^^^ CB: Actually, my number 5 here is redundant with 4) ; and following Gould's arguments for whatchacallit , the attached part on architectural arches, it's unnecessary. The "higher" characteristic(s) doesn't have to be the basis of the more successful adaptation. It just has to be linked ("tie barred) to the gene that does.