[lbo-talk] great movies -- was: "great" "conservative" movies

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sun Feb 15 16:07:53 PST 2009

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:38:38 -0500 "magcomm" <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Easy Living (Leisen: Jean Arthur as the quintessential working girl. She
> hated making movies, but had the best comic timing of any 1930's star.)

I just saw this last night. Uproarious. I was laughing so hard I thought I might injure myself. It's not that the gags are such great or original gags, but the timing, as magcomm notes, is better than flawless, and the way bits of business and dialogue overlap and dovetail is counterpoint like Handel's. And Jean Arthur is sheer delight. You want to eat her up.

Then there's the amazingly witty and sly Preston Sturges script. Mr Louis Louis is clearly related somewhere, somehow, in Eastern Europe, to Palm Beach Story's Toto. Exacts! Yitz!

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org