[lbo-talk] Some Great Movies

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 12:26:34 PST 2009

Hi John (and others)

Fortuitous that this discussion should come up....

As some may know, I am an adjunct teacher at the University of South Carolina. I use films in my Intro to Politics and in the IR of Africa classes.

One of the films I show regularly is "Z" - following a lecture on Fascism...(This week's movie, actually)

I often also show, Bicycle Thief (probably my all-time favourite film alongside Rublev and/or Battle for Algiers). Love Italian Neo-realism

One of my students recently asked that I recommend to a colleague that he used some of my preferences. I looked into it and found that the Film and Politics/Politics in Film course does not have a single non-USA or non-English film. While they are no doubt good, it does not even have Winkler's Guilty by Suspicion.

Nonethless, my students seem to enjoy the films. After screening either Black Skin White Mask or Battle for Algiers, one student walked past me, turned and said: "Just as a film, that was damn well made."

I love my students here in the deep South - too bad i have to leave :)

Aluta Continua!