[lbo-talk] Fitch and Brenner

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 05:58:38 PST 2009

MBeggs:

I was at the Historical Materialism conference in London back in November, and this point was heavily debated. It came to a climax at the plenary session on the crisis, with Brenner, Gerard Dumenil, David McNally and Costas Lapvitsas...

JGulick:

Here is a longer version of the paper from which McNally's Historical Materialism talk was derived.

http://marxandthefinancialcrisisof2008.blogspot.com/2008/12/david-mcnally-from-financial-crisis-to.html

The vagaries of the profit rate enter into his analysis, but it's much more nuanced and less one-note than Brenner's. He seems to have a better appreciation of the historical/institutional (if that's the right phrase) aspects linking together East Asian production/savings and US consumption/borrowing and how this trans-Pacific regime restored the robustness of the accumulation process from the 1970's until the East Asian flu of 97-98.

There's also a really interesting take on how the dissolution of Bretton Woods (I) led to a demand for derivatives that at first actually aided transnational investment, but later became a M-M' circuit in its own right once purely speculative bets could be made in that field.

_________________________________________________________________ Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Faster_022009