[lbo-talk] billions for high-speed rail!

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Feb 17 11:28:26 PST 2009

Some of this is for Amtrak and may succeed in raising its average speed above a puny 79 mph.

Not clear how much pump priming would work, since the value of a system lies much in its network nature, being able to get from San Diego to SFO/Sacramento. A segment doesn't do much in that way, unless it's a pretty big segment. Nor do I think any money is going to be risked unless the full financing commitment is settled at the same time.

More to the point would be completing a more modestly sized system that demonstrates the utility of the concept.

No system is going to happen without substantial input from state govs and the private sector. The Feds are not going to bear the whole risk of a complete system.