[lbo-talk] US frets over Pak's deal with Taliban

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 18:32:08 PST 2009

In the article cited by Sujeet Bhatt we have this:

''The government is reneging on its duty to protect the human rights of people from Swat Valley by handing them over to Taliban insurgents,'' said Sam Zarifi, Amnesty International's Asia-Pacific Director. ''Previously the government has launched indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks against the Taliban that have mostly harmed civilians. Now the human rights of these civilians will be in jeopardy if they live under Taliban laws.''

This is clear as mud. By handing them over to the Taliban in this deal the government has assured that they will not be subject to indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks that mostly harmed them. That seems a step forward even if there is some loss of human rights!

The way this reads it sounds as if the Pakistani govt. should have kept on attacking the Taliban indiscriminately and with great civilian losses. I guess Amnesty wants cleaner attacks such as Obama's drones!

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html