[lbo-talk] Social-Democracy in Ireland?

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 12:26:13 PST 2009

There's some words I didn't expect to hear a few months ago, but there's an increasing possibility. The conservative government, already caught in a major banking scandal which it is becoming increasingly implicated in every day, are now facing a major public sector strike wave across the country. At the exact same time the Irish Labour party are moving from the sidelines to front and centre as more and more Irish people become fearful of the looming possibility of unemployment. They've already begun a major recruitment drive and a huge reorganisation. If the aforementioned problems manage to cause the current government to fall then we're looking at a very good possibility of, what I would consider a reasonably honest social-democratic party being elected as the majority shareholder of power in Ireland.

To move from an extremely integrated trade-union system, coupled with strong a neo-liberal elite controlling both political and media power and a weak Labour party to these circumstances in such a short space of time - mere weeks! - is, frankly, bewildering, in whatever positive sense that term can connote. This especially since Ireland is looking straight down the barrel of the IMF's policy gun as it finds itself in ever more precarious circumstances with regard to its finances. God knows what Labour will inherit, the smoldering remnants of some sort of neo-liberal structured American Dream gone wrong, but dammit at least they might inherit it!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0218/transport.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0218/pensions.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0218/banks.html