[lbo-talk] Russia tanking

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Feb 19 16:39:57 PST 2009

On Thu, February 19, 2009 10:15 am, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Nancy Lazar of ISI - Ed Hyman's consulting shop - has a report out
> today on Russia. Headline: "Russia in severe recession." GDP could be
> contracting at a near-19% annual rate, which is huge. With the EU sinking,
> much of Asia sinking, and now Russia sinking, Dennis Redmond may have to
> revise his worldview...

Nah, Russia has almost no foreign debt and $386 billion in (reasonably diversified) forex reserves, plus another $90 billion stashed in the state-owned banking system. Basically, the crisis is going to accelerate Russia's transition to a full-fledged welfare state.

I wrote last October that the semi-peripheries (Russia, China, sovereign wealth funds) were going to wait and see if Obama won, and then the haggling for the post-American bailout would begin. But here's the snag: the haggling can't begin until the US nationalizes its insolvent banks. The semi-peripheries are NOT going to invest in a bailout which allows the US Empire to loot their $7 trillion in hard-earned savings. (Remember how CIC got burned on its Morgan Stanley investment.)

This is why Geithner's dithering scares the hell out of me. I thought the Obama people would have the sense to understand you need a systemic intervention to fix a systemic banking crisis. Fix the banks, erase the bad debts, and the semi-peripheries will be happy to purchase the US Treasuries necessary to finance the cleanup.

-- DRR