[lbo-talk] Great Russian movies

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 17:02:13 PST 2009

Although I have not seen a bazillion Russian WII movies, everytime I see one it's fed into my belief that 1 Russian WWII movie is worth maybe 15 American movies on the same subject.

Although not as gut-wrenchingly nightmarish as _Come & See_, this Soviet WWII film I saw recently as a Criterion DVD, albeit subtitled, and not dubbed -- as it is presented in its entirety on YouTube, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jMDFG-rVk

_Ballad of a Solider_. There is kind of an unintentonally funny scene near the beginning where a lone Russian soldier is being chased by a lone Panzer tank. One expects the Benny Hill theme to pop up at one point.

Also, _Our Own_ and _Are the Cranes Flying_, two more Russian WWII movies that are just excellent, the latter also Criterion. American stuff like _Windtalkers_, _Pearl Harbor_, and the looks-really-bad-and-not-in-an-entertaining-way _Inglorious Basterds_ [sic], the upcoming Tarantino wankfest, are pretty embarassing.

-B.