[lbo-talk] great movies -- was: "great" "conservative" movies

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Fri Feb 20 03:04:50 PST 2009

At 10:43 AM -0500 19/2/09, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>You're a smart guy Bill but I've noticed the way you tend to get foot
>stompingly annoyed by concepts, themes and ideas which you don't get at
>first go. It was hilarious to read your reaction to Deleuze: gibberish! You
>shouted. I imagined you throwing a shoe at a lecturer.

Its very flattering of you to say so Dwayne, but the truth is its doubtful my reaction would be so dignified. I'm afraid I would probably be incoherent with rage. Justifiable rage, Note that no-one has been able to translate any of the Deleuzerish*.

I'm sure you knew that, but were just being diplomatic.

Fair enough criticism though, I suppose I am a tad unimaginative. And certainly bad tempered. I hate bullshit. Which makes it a bit hard to live in the modern world. (Thank goodness for escapist entertainment, like science fiction.) But maybe I have misjudged 2001. It might just be to do with how different people's brains are wired. Mine isn't wired to appreciate that kind of thing. Other people are wired differently. Like being colour-blind.

Films are a matter of taste I admit. Some people go for the 2001 kind of films. Who am I to say its rubbish? Perhaps its just that some of us lack the imagination to appreciate it. It takes all sorts.

See, I'm trying to be diplomatic. I'm a bit new at it, so it isn't a polished performance, you'll have to make allowances. ;-)

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas

*Deleuzerish: N. deluded gibberish