[lbo-talk] Soros and Volcker: Collapse surpassing Great Depression

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sat Feb 21 14:37:10 PST 2009

At 1:34 PM -0800 21/2/09, Shane Taylor wrote:

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > [...]
>
> > How would you define, even vaguely, what an _organized_
>> challenge was?
>
>Vaguely, a means of collective action for shared ends. A means to
>make specific demands and to raise the costs to the governing class
>for ignoring or betraying such demands.

I would think not. An organised challenge to the capitalist system takes a bit more than that. Organised resistance to the capitalist system is no less than the working class refusing to take orders from the employing class. By definition, that has to be organised, individuals can refuse to take orders but that isn't a challenge to the capitalist system. Its resistance, I like to think, but it isn't a challenge.

What you are describing is no more than petitioning for whatever crumbs the capitalist system can spare. In making demands of the employing class, one implicitly acknowledges its right to continue to rule. Thus actually re-inforcing the capitalist system, rather than challenging it.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas