[lbo-talk] Fitch and Brenner

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 21:51:37 PST 2009

michael perelman wrote:

> The problem with your data is the trend toward spending less on
> long-lived plant and equipment & more on software and IT equipment
> with a short life span. So, the economy needs more investment just to
> stay up to where it was earlier.

That's true, but these figures represent the actual dollar amounts spent on real investment. We are led to believe that finance has somehow drained the resources available for undertaking real investment spending. These data show it hasn't. The higher depreciation rates nowadays are significant only to the extent that the more rapid wearing out of of the capital stock was retarding productivity growth. But it's not, as I tried to show with these data:

nonfarm business productivity 1950s 2.1% 1960s 2.7% 1970s 1.7% 1980s 1.6% 1990s 2.0% 2000-07 2.4%

MFG productivity growth 1950's 2.8% 1960's 3.3% 1970's 2.3% 1980's 3.7% 1990's 4.6% 2000-2007 3.6%