[lbo-talk] Andy English

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 22 18:16:50 PST 2009

[A lot of the bad stuff about SEIU I've posted here in recent months was sent to me by Andy English, a former SEIU person who came to dislike the union intensely. Sadly, he's just died.]

A message from Gregory King, Associate Director of Public Affairs

We have received very sad news about our friend and brother, Andy English, who has been handling the public affairs responsibilities for AFSCME Iowa Council 61. Andy was in a serious car accident earlier this month while travelling through an unanticipated Nebraska snow storm. Yesterday, February 19th, he died as a result of the injuries he sustained in the accident. He was 50 years old. Andy worked from 1998 to 2005 in the AFSCME Public Affairs strategic communications group. Among the many campaigns he worked on during his years with AFSCME were the strike at Beverly Farm (C31), San Diego Home Care, Missouri State Employees (C72), Resurrection (C31), Walker Methodist (C5), Oklahoma municipal employees and Bellefontaine.

Before joining AFSCME’s staff, Andy was a local union steward for United Auto Workers in Arizona, where also was a founder of a Jobs With Justice affiliate. In the early 1980s as an AFT member at Arizona State University he organized solidarity actions for Steelworker strikers at Phelps-Dodge copper mines. He is survived by his wife, Flo English, who sadly lost her job earlier this month. Council 61 has established a fund for her. Contributions can be made out to Flo English and sent to AFSCME Council 61, 4320 NW 2nd Ave., Des Moines, IA 50313, att: Mark Frymoyer. Cards and letters can be sent to Flo at home in Colorado. That address is 9758 Grove Street, Westminster, CO 80032. No services are planned at this time.