[lbo-talk] Fitch and Brenner

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Feb 23 17:36:55 PST 2009

On Mon, February 23, 2009 12:54 pm, John Gulick wrote:

> On the topic of the resilience of the US imperium, I tend to agree
> with Panitch and Gindin that it's not going anywhere soon as long as
> junior partner and (to a lesser degree BRIC) bourgeosies regard the US
> dollar-military complex as the glue that holds global K'ism (and
> transnational bourgeois predominance) together.

Nope. East Asia, the EU and the global semi-periphery would like a peaceful climbdown of the US Empire: take the money being pissed away on military-industrial pigolopies ($1 trillion per annum), and spend it on US infrastructure and consumption, thereby underwriting BRIC/Eurasian exports. In return, everyone buys T-bills and allows the US to rescue its banking system.

Once the US nationalizes its banks, the wheels will turn pretty quickly, and the economy should stabilize. What worries me is the time-span between now and then. The global credit system is still in the ICU.

-- DRR