[lbo-talk] English on SEIU

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 06:47:07 PST 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

The response from labor reps here is generally, to paraphrase, "we don't have time to read because we're out talking to people, etc."  as if nobody else here has a fucking job.

A (Very) Brief History of Labor Discussions on LBO

Stage One:  The Left is as Silly as a Soup Sandwich

Puppets! Why does the left love them?  Related talking point: Code Pink, and allied political activist tradespeople, are ridiculous!

Stage Two: Welcome to the Desert of the Unreal

While you're in your coastal enclaves sipping low fat, soy milk lattes -- probably while wearing a beret, chatting about Zizek, posting to discussion lists and knitting your protest puppets -- I'm in the labor movement trenches with real people. Trenching it up! Because I'm real.  Unlike you.

Stage Three: Who's on first?

SEIU is the future!  Stop criticizing SEIU, it's the future!  You only criticize SEIU because you're in your coastal enclaves sipping low fat, soy milk lattes  -- probably while wearing a beret, chatting about Zizek, posting to discussion lists and knitting protest puppets.

On second thought, maybe SEIU isn't the future after all.

But don't criticize it.  Okay, you can criticize it but not too harshly.

Third base!

.d.

-- She was also a Spiderman villain, or maybe a Spiderman villain's mom. They called her "Dr. Octopus Mom"

Pareene

.............................. http://monroelab.net/blog/