[lbo-talk] Lenin and Hilferding

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 17:56:35 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2009, at 2:31 PM, Patrick Bond wrote:
>
> The antidote to such nonsense was a 1929 book by Heinrich Grossmann.
>> Right, James?
>>

> And capitalism came back from 1929 stronger than ever, didn't it? Or have
> the last 80 years just been a perpetual displacement?
>
> Doug- Show quoted text -

My understanding of Marxist theory is that it is, indeed, a perpetual displacement. But like anything else, because we're talking in essentially psychological terms (and we could talk in any other terms) this dynamic should be unsustainable. Again, just like we talk about any other human science, any perpetual displacement is going to end in the people/society having to sort it's problems/contradictions out. Although I'm not an adherent to the "laws of history", this seems tangible.