[lbo-talk] Obama going after full privatization of Social Security?

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 00:08:05 PST 2009

>From Obama's speech:

>To preserve our long-term fiscal health, we must also address the growing costs in Medicare and Social Security. Comprehensive health care reform is the best way to strengthen Medicare for years to come. And we must also begin a conversation on how to do the same for Social Security, while creating tax-free universal savings accounts for all Americans.

Sounds like full scale privatization for me. I took it for granted that he would try to cut benefits - sort of the Democratic party role. But this sound like he wants the whole enchilada, no nibbling around the edges. So just a banal illustration that even when you think you are expecting the worst it can still be worse? Or is there something you bet on this meaning other than privatization?