[lbo-talk] mandate

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 25 09:26:43 PST 2009

[also from Mike Allen]

SCOOP – The American Prospect's Ezra Klein, '[T]he health care proposal in Obama's budget will have a mandate. ... The budget -- and I was cautioned that the wording ' is changing hourly' -- will direct Congress to 'aim for universality.' That is a bolder goal than simple affordability, which can be achieved, at least in theory, through subsidies. Universality means everyone has coverage, not just the ability to access it. And that requires a mechanism to ensure that they seek it. Administration officials have been very clear on what the inclusion of 'universality' is meant to communicate to Congress. As one senior member of the health team said to me, '[The plan] will cover everybody. And I don't see how you cover everybody without an individual mandate.' That language almost precisely echoes what Senate Finance Chairman Max Baucus said in an interview last summer.'