[lbo-talk] Fitch and Brenner

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 09:44:11 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2009, at 10:31 PM, Shane Mage wrote:
>
> But that's all in the non-productive sector, nop?
>>

> I'm really not convinced that the productive/nonproductive distinction has
> any more than a theological basis; selling goods is as important as making
> them. But that aside, Wal-Mart transformed the productive sector - never has
> a retailer intervened so extensively to change the practices of suppliers.
> Competition for Wal-Mart shelf space drove manufacturers to extreme
> cost-cutting, and WMT's logistical innovations forced suppliers to play
> along.
>
> Also, by pushing down retail prices, WMT lowered the cost of reproduction
> of the working class, making real wage cuts throughout the economy a lot
> easier.
>
> Doug
>
> But, the Wal-Mart example is an example of the relative power of different
sectors of capital - between retail sellers vs. consumer product industries... and, as such, not so much about un/productivity... I think I agree about the theological nature of the distinction, however, given the necessity each each sector to each other and relations at the foundation of the expanded reproduction of capital.

Alan