[lbo-talk] Hayek is _Ours_) (Was Re: Fitch and Brenner)

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:43:11 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM, andie nachgeborenen < andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Please read Hayek (well worth while), not in the same boat, probably not
> even on the same planet, at Friedman. No maths. No equilibrium. Despite some
> table poundung, no opposition to social democracy or planning where it would
> work -- just generaly thought it wouldn't. Question came up at a seminar I'm
> participating in whether Hayek would really draw the line, or could, given
> his premises, at objecting to anything short of total central planning. It's
> not evident that he could.

I haven't got around to reading Hayek but I have heard this from others too. Last year I met Eric Aarons, an old Australian communist, who has been getting right into him and who said the same thing. I see he has a book coming out with Routledge this year: Hayek versus Marx.

As for Schumpeter, definitely, well worth reading; as Joan Robinson put it, Marx with the adjectives changed.

Cheers, Mike Beggs