[lbo-talk] An Antinomy (from Postone)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 25 19:13:28 PST 2009

Also interesting is Robert Albritton, Roberet Jessop and Richard Westra, eds., _Political Economy and Global Capitalism: The 21st Century, Present and Future_ (London & New York: Anthem Press, 2007). The essays are uneven (the one by Jessop seemed to say nothing, but some are very good. One of the contributors is Patrick Bond (haven't read it yet). The essay by Saad Filho is a superb perspective on the last 40 years or so. Moishe Postone surveys Brenner, Arrighi, & Harvey on the world economy. Quite good. (This is from a post I wrote in December 2007 on another list.)

According to one of the articles in Historical Materialism, Postone wrote the bulk of the book in the late '70s, early '80s, when he was resident in Frankfurt. It was partly triggered by his dissatisfaction with the two 'left' currents in Frankfort at that time, Habermasian liberalism and a warmed over Leninism.

Carrol