[lbo-talk] Fitch and Brenner

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 20:23:28 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:09 AM, Sean Andrews <cultstud76 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Agreed. But its very subordinate. I hate to be so "po-mo" about this, but
> > VERY little of Marx's or Ricardo's arguments are taken up with explaining
> > consumption (demand). They spend all their time on production
> > (accumulation). In fact, so does much economic theory and I wonder how
> > concrete it is due to this. Predicting the actions of producers in a
> society
> > of consumers may be a little off..... maybe...
>
> Um...How can there be a society of consumers without there being
> production? Seems like you've reified the international division of
> labor here. Likewise, the goal of the theory is not, as marginalists
> might have it, to "predict" the actions of producers: it's to explain
> the system which makes producers and consumers--and especially
> producers and owners, as in the producers of the branded mechandise
> you consumer and the owners of the capital and IPR in NYC--appear
> separate and then predict how the contradictions of those
> *relationships* will play out over time.

I agree, but I still think that most Marxists are content with explaining things in terms of the evil capitalist (i.e. producer) and not in terms of the consumer which this capitalist NEEDS.

> You don't need to explain "consumption:" in threshold cases, if you
> don't consume you'll die. That you satisfy most of this consumption
> with commodities comes back around to that relationship above. The
> "extra" consumption that we now do in Northern cultures is obviously
> interesting, but it is hardly a mode of economic life per se, and is
> obviously based more on the "production" of debt in the current era,
> making consumption itself a form of capital (i.e. interest)
> accumulation--mirrored in the equally debt/finance driven production
> that meets this stimulated demand through contracted, subcontracted
> and endlessly transported widgets and wares.

This is where I almost agree, but I break off. This tends to be able to point to debt as some sort of, on the one hand, problem, and on the other, solution. I think its neither. Its a development, nothing more. Debt is debt... not exactly profound, but the fact is that it is. And if the current global economy is consistently putting its balance sheet into the red, then I'd be worried.