[lbo-talk] Fitch and Brenner

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Feb 26 02:52:16 PST 2009

At 09:53 PM 2/25/2009, Philip Pilkington wrote:
>As I said above: if the power of price determination is
>increasingly being taken out of the hands of the capitalists then you
>probably have a problem inherent in that mode of production.

ha! Now I see why Carrol was on about Postone -- because he criticizes this kind of "traditional" Marxist discussion of price, the focus on production and on the proletariat (and thus the distribution of wealth), and the theory of value.

Looks like this bitch needs to get to work and start posting more specifically about what Postone Dewd says.

Just a note: my own views on Postone are still up in the air as I'm only about 70 pp into the book and have just been reading for immersion. I don't know if I agree or disagree but I certainly sympathize with why he wrote the book: because of the limitations of the Frankfurt School's critical theory *and* the limitations of "traditional" Marxism as espoused by various Marxist and Leninist groups.

Normally, I would not give two shits about value theory and what Joan Robinson wrote about it -- because I've never really thought any of it had anything to do with what we actually need to do now, let alone that it made any sense, particularly from various feminist standpoints. Alas, Carrol was so jazzed about it, I couldn't resist. And I suspect that Postone's work speaks more to critical social theory as I care about it than it would at first seem.

shag