[lbo-talk] It's free! Like the clap!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 26 07:37:18 PST 2009

shag carpet bomb wrote:

> At 10:11 PM 2/25/2009, Philip Pilkington wrote:
> >People don't focus on
> >"appearances" or "sounds" of things to create new meaningful words, they try
> >to expand on the past meanings.

Yes. On the past meanings THAT THEY ARE AWARE OF. So the relevant context for "pansy" as gay is the usage of the word in the early 20th century. The earliest appearance of 'new' words in print probably lags by 30 or so years the oral usage. If "pansy" is recoreded in the 1920s, that strongly suggests its origins in the (new) homosexual 'lifestyle' of the late 19th century: Wilde, some of Whitman's followers, etc. And reference sound assoications: how old is the expression "pantywaist"

And I wonder if shag herself could be certain whether or not "Dick Nixon" was lurking in the background of her coinage of limpdick.

Carrol