[lbo-talk] Human Smoke

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Thu Feb 26 19:07:09 PST 2009

I wondered if he was being completely fair to Churchill, so I may investigate this bit. There is a raft of citations and footnotes.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Chris Doss Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:41 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Human Smoke

Incidentally, according to this review in the Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/may/03/featuresreviews.guardianr eview6 ), the Trotsky Jew comment is taken completely out of context.

"Baker also includes cameos which suggest, incorrectly, that Churchill was antisemitic. For example, he quotes from an essay in Churchill's 1937 book Great Contemporaries which identified the malign Trotsky by his race: "'He was a Jew,' wrote Churchill with finality. 'He was still a Jew. Nothing could get over that.'" But Baker omits the context. Churchill was explaining that Trotsky's Jewishness was an obstacle to his becoming autocrat of Communist Russia, and he criticised "so narrow-minded a reason"."

But I haven't read the book, so I shall now shut my pie-hole.