[lbo-talk] Modern medical "coverage"

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Fri Feb 27 05:56:57 PST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 8:20 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> But today I just got a separate bill from the lab -- something I've
> never seen before -- telling me that the total bill for the routine
> bloodwork was over 400 bucks, and my share of that is $156.

I've just gotten over an inflammation of the eye, and apparently had blephoritis in the other one. My CUNY "student" GHI plan allowed a $27 co-pay at the opthamologist at which price I'll have gone four times before all is said and done. The drug plan is cash-only unless it's for diabetes medicines.

I had to get a 15ml bottle of stuff that dilates my eye ($50), and two bottles (5ml!) of cortisone drops at $115 and $90 respectively. I had mentioned to my doctor that drug prices had gone way up, and he remarked that the two cortisone products had been around since the mid-1970s, and should have gone generic long ago.