[lbo-talk] Credit crunch a myth?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 1 11:30:38 PST 2009

"C. G. Estabrook" wrote:

> Nice to have that cleared up. Now -- what to do with all that pesky evidence?

One of Mao's statements seemed awfully wrong to me when I first came across it; something like "Support everything the enemy opposes; oppose everything the enemy favors." Frank Knox (Roosevelt's Secretary of the Navy and owner of the Chicago News) had given such instructions to his editor with reference to the Tribune. When The Colonel heard this he ordered his editorial staff to begin a coampaign against syphalis. That is the danger of course of kneejerk reations or of following Mao's advice. But when the enemy at issue is the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, kneejerk response may well be best until there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary. That is how I responded at the time, and never did get around to responding to shag's query of why.

I think in the process of bu9lding a left -- and that is, really, the ONLY currently legitimate goal for leftists -- it is probably best to always say NO until everything points in the opposite direction, and t hen correct oneself. It is stupid for us merely to echo the 'good' things (if they exist) that the deadlyf enemies of humanity put forth.

Carrol