[lbo-talk] Credit crunch a myth?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Jan 1 18:27:01 PST 2009

Doug writes:

> The commercial paper market collapsed more than a year ago, shutting
> down a crucial avenue of financing for corporations (though the
> Fed's interventions are loosening it up some).

This paper from the Minneapolis Fed says otherwise:

---

Three Myths about Quantities

The Financial crisis has also been associated with three

widely held claims about the nature of the crisis and the

associated spillovers to the rest of the economy. The financial

press and policymakers have made the following three claims

about the nature of the crisis.

1. Bank lending to non-financial corporations and individuals

has declined sharply.

2. Interbank lending is essentially nonexistent.

3. Commercial paper issuance by non-financial corporations

has declined sharply, and rates have risen to unprecedented levels.

Here we examine these claims using data from the Federal

Reserve Board and Bloomberg.

Our argument that all three claims are false is based on data up

until October 15, 2008.

--- http://www.minneapolisfed.org/research/WP/WP666.pdf

Are you guilty of this soundbite from the article?

"Even as the media continue to repeat the claim that credit has

frozen up, evidence has emerged suggesting the entire story is wrong."

...?

/jordan