[lbo-talk] Credit crunch a myth?

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 00:24:01 PST 2009

In terms of conspiracy theories, Dick Cheney clangs so badly on my CREEP-o-meter, that I could quite easily blame him for everything from toenail fungus and lost socks in the laundry to the current collapse. At least a few voices spoke out about the real estate bubble and the subprime fiasco for months unto years before things finally froze up so the timing of things actually grinding to a halt could arguably be interesting in the "strange coincidence" vein. There is at least an interesting market psychology problem in here somewhere.

The other point that comes to mind: besides the real estate bubble and the stock market,I would think to wonder about the flows of unsecured credit like credit cards. I just remember at one point in the midst of medical and job challenges and saddled with a subprime mortgage, with one credit card in delinquency trying to escalate preposterous fees, I still had other cards increasing my credit limit. One supposes that this had nothing to do with my creditworthiness but rather was designed to make the creditors' balance sheet look better in percentage terms: a customer who owes 95% of their limit looks different than a customer who owes 50% or better yet 30%. Actually digging up data is not really my strong suit, but it occurs to me to wonder about the dimensions and flows of this unsecured credit during the same times as the various bubbles here. I would expect the unsecured debt to have some dynamics independent of the stock and real state flows.

I am with Jordan: something certainly needs bailing out, but are we bailing out the right thing or just discovering new ways to get ripped off? If real wages are declining in the US and multiple Latin American countries also suffered declines in indicators except remittances from abroad, could we envision scenarios that would have yielded different results in both categories? DC

DC