[lbo-talk] On Raghu

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 18:21:35 PST 2009

If my memory helps, the paper on the lack of growth effects of foreign aid that the WSJ note reports on is a paper that Rajan presented in Boston, at the 2006 AEA annual meeting. Rajan shared a panel with other "young stars" (Easterly, Acemoglu, Aghion, and Torsten Persson come to my mind). He stood out in the discussion. I was surprised by how critical he was of the traditional IMF policies, even though he was representing the IMF. (Easterly was bitching about the historical performance of the World Bank, but he had already left it to join NYU.) Rajan brandished some econometrics showing that workers' remittances beat official aid at inducing growth in poor economies. He must be getting some attention in San Francisco. Krugman just wrote a note on his blog praising him.