[lbo-talk] Franken wins Minnesota

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 19:13:51 PST 2009

> My point, and it's hardly an original one, is that the left, whatever
> that is, purports to agitate on behalf of the masses, but the masses
> mostly don't give a fuck.

I think that's generally true, especially when times are "good." I grew up around auto workers, carpenters, stove assembly workers, gutter installers, and most of them, while pretty pro-union (this was the late-60s, early-70s), were in it for themselves. The only time they felt any solidarity with each other was when things got tight, or the bosses were ripping them off. Then their class awareness showed. But if they were making enough, or felt more or less content, most really didn't care about their fellow workers.

I sense a certain awareness these days, for obvious economic reasons, and it's nice to see so many mainstream-oriented people being critical (or sick and tired) of Israel's endless wars. Can it last? Does it mean anything? Who knows. I'm throwing my agitprop in the mix and see what happens.

Dennis