[lbo-talk] libertarian rates the presidents

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Jan 7 09:02:04 PST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> [Bill Clinton more conservative than Ronald Reagan!]
> Who were the best and worst U.S. presidents..?
>
> RECARVING RUSHMORE: RANKING THE PRESIDENTS ON PEACE, PROSPERITY, AND
> LIBERTY

I would expect to have significant disagreements with Mr. Eland's evaluation of "prosperity," but general agreement on "peace" and "liberty." On Lincoln, I think that, badly as he performed, there were no other politicians around who would not have been much worse. But he would be absolutely right in ranking Wilson as the very worst US President. Was Harding the very best? It has always looked that way to me, but my perception may well be distorted by the contrast with the administration he succeeded. His certainly stands as the greatest improvement of one administration over another, and absolutely nothing that Obama has done since the victory of the Oblabla campaign gives any sign that he will even come close.

Shane Mage