[lbo-talk] the younger Flynts

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 7 11:26:41 PST 2009

Porn mogul Larry Flynt sues nephews over use of family name

Flynt says his good name in adult entertainment is being cheapened by his relatives' porn movies. They respond that Flynt is their name too.

By Victoria Kim and Andrew Blankstein January 7, 2009

Hustler magazine publisher Larry Flynt has been called a lot of things over the years. But he insists that the Flynt name still stands for quality when it comes to adult entertainment.

So this week, he filed suit against two nephews who are using the family name for their own line of adult films. Flynt said he is going to court to protect his good name, saying that he is concerned that Jimmy Flynt II and Dustin Flynt might tarnish the Flynt franchise by producing lower-quality porn that the lawsuit calls "inferior products" and "knock-off goods."

"To come into the adult entertainment business and use my name not only confuses people who buy my products, but if they're not maintaining a certain quality, it could also hurt my name," Larry Flynt told The Times on Tuesday.

The younger Flynts strongly disagree, saying that they are trying only to break into the family business.

"It's my brother and my turn to be successful in this business," said Dustin Flynt, who worked for his uncle before he was fired about a year ago. "The fact of the matter is my name is Flynt. If I can't use my name to do business, then what kind of society, what kind of world is that?"

[....]