[lbo-talk] Guardian: Obama prepared to talk to Hamas

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 15:56:53 PST 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2009, at 5:12 PM, SA wrote:
>
>>> We're of course wildly speculating here, but I wouldn't be surprised
>>> if a *lasting* political solution is arranged in the Middle East.
>>> Please mark my words so that, later on, you can all reproach me how
>>> foolish, how swindled of good sense I was by Obama's sweet talk and no
>>> (or the wrong) substance.
>>>

>> Will do!
>
> Gotta be careful with this stuff. Wasn't Dennis Ross the genius behind
> "Oslo," which many people would liken to a lasting political solution,
> even though it's a bag of crap?

He was the genius behind the game of ensuring Oslo was a perpetual motion machine that would never lead to a settlement. Actually Oslo was (no, is: it's technically still going on 15 years later) more like a never-ending sitcom that keeps spawning spin-offs: Remember the the Road Map? Annapolis? Bush's Two-State Vision? The Wye River Accords? (That one's for aficionados only.) That's exactly what they'll try to do now.

I'm assuming, Julio, that that's not what you have in mind. You're talking about what's called in the lingo a final-status agreement: an agreement to create a Palestinian state with which Israel establishes mutual recognition. Yes?

SA