[lbo-talk] Prospects for algae biofuels?

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 18:25:29 PST 2009

Andy:

I'll continue ducking the grim meathook present and ask anybody following this: what are the prospects for algae-base biofuels? Are they reasonably carbon neutral?

The prospects for algae-based biodiesel (which is superior to its crop cousin for several reasons) are good. At least, from a purely technical POV. The technology is proven at the small to mid-range scale.

Regarding the 'carbon footprint' of what comes out the tailpipe...

Biodiesel isn't 'neutral'. If memory serves, its C02 output is less than petrol but much greater than zero. The real hope however, is that a fully realized, globally distributed algae fuel source system would work out to be net neutral, or pretty damn close, because algae absorbs carbon at a robust rate.

So the very thing you cultivated to create your fuel would also absorb its most troublesome byproduct.

Very neat in theory (sequester as you burn). No doubt, getting it right in practice requires the sort of large scale, consistent effort we've yet to see.

.d.

-- "'I'm diluting your brand' is the new 'I'm crushing your head.'"

La Cieca .............................. http://monroelab.net/blog/