[lbo-talk] Young Repubs, cryin' in their beer

James Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 02:28:10 PST 2009

> The currently philosophy of progressive organizations from labor to
> the anti-war movement seems to be predicated on the claim that we
> can pimp our way two freedom.
>

> I think we're just about all of us atheists at this point. I've even
> met one or two Chasidic Jews who professed to be. Much of what
> qualifies as "faith" is really habit developed in childhood, and
> I've rarely met anyone who convinced me they believed in God

It might help to get into discussions on a regular basis with folks who don't think what you think, but who you still respect and like. If your personality doesn't allow for such intellectually transgressive acts, you might try participating in a mass organization composed of ordinary people, where your behavior and outlook is disciplined by working relationships with people whose perspectives differ vastly from your own, yet whose character and social position indicate to you that you would be wise to learn how to engage with their views in a genuine fashion.

Or, you could just start using the caps-lock. People on the internet seem to like to do that.