[lbo-talk] WINEP

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 12:26:52 PST 2009

Julio Huato wrote:

> "We cannot have two administrations at the same time simultaneously
> sending signals in a volatile situation. But what I am doing right now
> is putting together the team so that on January 20th, starting on day
> one, we have the best possible people who are going to be immediately
> engaged in the Middle East peace process as a whole.
>
> "That are going to be engaging with all of the actors there. That will
> work to create a strategic approach that ensures that both Israelis
> and Palestinians can meet their aspirations."
>
> Note the sentence: [Obama's team, i.e.] "the best possible people"
> [...] "are going to be engaging with all of the actors there." All of
> them. Not excluding Iran or Hezbollah or Hamas. The bone thrown at
> the Europeans -- even though they already volunteered support to Obama
> -- may actually have a tiny bit of meat.

I like your close reading approach to Obamism. I guess the idea is that all that is not forbidden is permitted. Let me try my hand at it.....

Note the sentence: "We cannot have two administrations at the same time simultaneously sending signals in a volatile situation." I read this to mean that we must have three administrations. Probably this third administration Obama is planning to set up will be even more progressive than the second, with Noam Chomsky as secretary of state and Jello Biafra at the National Endowment for the Arts. So I read this as a real step forward.

But I'm still trying to parse this report for its hidden progressive meanings:

Obama Team Denies Report That He Seeks Talks With Hamas President-elect Barack Obama's transition team denies a report in a British newspaper that it is being urged to use intelligence agencies to "initiate low-level or clandestine" talks with Hamas.

FOXNews.com Friday, January 09, 2009

Barack Obama's transition team on Friday denied a report in a British newspaper that the president-elect wants to open secret talks with Hamas.

[...]

"The President-elect has repeatedly stated that he believes that Hamas is a terrorist organization dedicated to Israel's destruction, and that we should not deal with them until they recognize Israel, renounce violence, and abide by past agreements," transition spokeswoman Brooke Anderson said in a written statement.

"The President-elect's repeated statements are accurate. This unsourced story is not."

SA