[lbo-talk] longing for the Bush days

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Sun Jan 11 13:33:20 PST 2009

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:35:20 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
> There is considerable fear about the advisers that she is going to
> bring with her, people like Martin Indyk

Hi Doug-

In that same issue of Time Magazine that you quoted earlier this week, there's an Op-ed piece by Indyk, "Obama's Options":

<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1870498,00.html>

(The print edition I saw had a picture of Obama with Abbas, rather than the yarmulka shot on the Web.)

"The terms of a new truce will need to include: no rocket fire on Israeli civilians, no offensive Israeli operations, an international mechanism for enforcing a ban on smuggling offensive weapons, Palestinian Authority (PA) involvement in the control of open passages, and large-scale humanitarian and reconstruction assistance funneled through the PA rather than via Hamas."

"President Obama therefore will need urgently to paint his vision of a comprehensive resolution of the Arab-Israeli conflict, summoning all leaders of goodwill to the task--perhaps suggesting they convene in Washington to declare their common intent. He will need to announce a series of mechanisms for achieving it, including: resumption of Israeli-Palestinian final-status negotiations, rebuilding of the West Bank and Gaza economies and PA security capabilities, initiation of U.S.-sponsored direct negotiations between Israel and Syria, and operationalizing the Arab League peace initiative. And he should put this into the even larger context of his efforts to end the war in Iraq, engage Iran and construct a new regional security architecture."