[lbo-talk] Prospects for algae biofuels?

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:19:40 PST 2009

The big thing about Algae is that we don't know how to it either economically or sustainably today. It is a fuel of the future, and maybe always will be. It could be the problems are thermodynamic in a very subtle way. But we don't NEED algae (even though it would be nice.) We know how to produce all the electricity we want sustainably at a reasonable price even if somewhat higher than today's electricity. We know how to use it more efficiently than we use electricity at present so a higher per kWh hour price does not translate into a significantly higher electric bill. And once we are generating renewable electricity we also know how to substitute for a lot of fuel use.

Now it may be objected that there are things electricity can't do - provide feedstock for chemicals. There are things we don't how to make it do now - drive commercial planes and heavy water transport. Also even in the electric grid, an otherwise renewable grid will need get a few percent of its electricity from fuel to take care of exception circumstances, since the alternative would be extremely expensive storage.

And the answer that all these demands are small enough, if we otherwise reduce fuel use as much as possible that it can mostly be met from land based biofuels. Not all straw can be returned to the soil without becoming a nitrogen robber, so a certain percent of straw is a truly sustainable biofuel feedstock. Similarly some brush clearing legitimately has to be done in forestry to avoid providing tinder for really large scale forest fires. That is especially true if we want to return to a natural fire cycle which is based on small fires that prevent brush from accumulating. We really have eliminated the possibility of this happening without human intervention for some centuries. So brush has to be cleared, and genuine brush clearing (as opposing to clear-cutting in the name of brush removal) clears young plants that mostly have no commercial value except as a biofuel stock. Again the alternative to brush clearing is not a natural fire cycle, but large scale fires that burn old growth. So long as we raise animals in any way but grazing on rangeland, there will be concentrated manure that we can dispose of in methane digesters. It is possible that in the long run we stop raising animals in confinement and stick mainly to grazed animals (at least when it comes to ruminants. "Free range chickens" are still kept in some sort of fencde area.) So we can get some truly sustainable bio-fuel. In the U.S. at least 3 quad, probably 7 quad, maybe more though much higher and I have my doubts about real sustainability. In addition fossil fuel use does not have be cut quite to zero. In the U.S. continued use of up to 3 quads of natural gas would be sustainable. So we are not in as big a trap as you might think.

I would say that in terms processing biofuels, digestion in methane digesters, methanol production or gasification are the way to process it - not making biofuel. Much less energy loss during conversion.