[lbo-talk] Slumdog Millionaire sweeps Globes

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 05:10:06 PST 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7823413.stm

BBC News Page last updated at 06:30 GMT, Monday, 12 January 2009

Slumdog Millionaire sweeps Globes

Slumdog Millionaire, a rags-to-riches tale of an improbable winner of game show Who Wants to be a Millionaire, has swept the Golden Globe awards.

British director Danny Boyle's film won four trophies, including those for best film and best director.

Best original score composer AR Rahman became the first Indian to win a Globe and Simon Beaufoy won best screenplay.

The Globes are often regarded as an indicator of the films and actors who are favoured to win at the Oscars.

'Love song'

Collecting his award, Boyle thanked the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the organisers of the awards.

"Your mad, pulsating affection for our film is much appreciated," he said as he collected his individual award.

"The film was made from the heart, really. We never expected to be here."

Boyle has described the film as "a love song" to Mumbai (Bombay) - the Indian city where it is set.

The composer of Slumdog's score, AR Rahman, has been described as the Mozart of Madras by Time magazine.

Madhur Bhandarkar, who has made several movies on the seamier side of Mumbai, said the recognition of Slumdog was "absolutely great".

"It is an excellent film which depicts real poverty and real life in India. Moreover, Rahman winning the award will take India on to a different platform. His music was internationally recognised but now it will be different."

Rafique Baghdadi, film critic, said it was "great news for Indian film industry", adding: "We will have Indian script writers working with filmmakers abroad soon."

Actor and social activist Gerson Da Cunha said it was "extraordinary that it takes a foreigner to make a true, inventive film about Mumbai".

"This is a film which has raw material and facts fired by creative imagination."

The film's story revolves around Mumbai 18-year-old Jamal Malik, played by Dev Patel, who wins the jackpot on Kaun Banega Crorepati, the Hindi version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?

Jamal participates in the game show not for money but to reach his missing girlfriend Latika, played by Freida Pinto.

She is a devoted fan of the show and watches it without fail.

But when he wins the jackpot, he is suspected of cheating.

The film stars well-known Bollywood actors Anil Kapoor and Irfan Khan.

On Friday the film swept the Critics' Choice Awards in California, winning five prizes, including best film, best director and best composer.

Nominations for the Oscars will be announced on 22 January.

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges