[lbo-talk] Prospects for algae biofuels?

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 11:10:03 PST 2009

Andy:

Do the algae growing schemes involve farming or collecting from the oceans? Most of the time in the ocean it's pretty thinly distributed compared to what you see in a nutrient rich pond.

I think that at this point, most plans do assume land-based, 'algaculture' systems.

See, for example, the crisp design concepts for algaculture high rises and balloons (yes, balloons) featured at BLDGBLOG:

<http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/algae-power.html>

I expect that if these became viable it would only be a matter of time before clever souls figured out how to maximize the use of the oceans as a harvesting site. Perhaps by re-engineering some of the land systems for ocean applications.

Which would put us in the enclosure situation John Gulick mentioned.

.d.