[lbo-talk] Fuck Hope

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 19:59:11 PST 2009

I'm trying to get through the DVD box set containing all of Bob Hope's Vietnam specials, 1964-72, but man, is it rough sledding. I was a kid when these shows originally aired, so I'm really watching them for the first time. I'm up to 1967, and Hope's gotten more stridently pro-war and very anti-dissent. I'll write about the whole package in due course, but I just have to say how wowed I am at these pro-war commercials. Subtlety and soft sell were not part of the pitch. And each year, Hope gets worse. I hope to see him in the final show, clinging to a helicopter, one step ahead of the NVA.

Dennis