[lbo-talk] Prospects for algae biofuels?

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 22:35:02 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Did Vertigrow Energy provide the fuel for the jet?

No, but honestly the key is that sustainable jet fuel is not the point. The main thing has to be using energy more efficientl, or (to the extent that fails) use less energy. The second point is, to the extent possible substitute renewable electricity and solar heat for fuel use. In terms of jets. Something to remember is that fuel use is not the main greenhouse gas emitted by jet planes. Water vapor is. Yes, yes I know water vapor is normally nut stuff a feedback, not a forcing .But that applies only at ground level. Once you get to the top of the troposphere and the bottom of the stratosphere, the air is nowhere near saturation. Water vapor emitted from jet planes, as opposed to that emitted at the ground stays for significant time. It is a forcing not a feedback. Water vapor from jets is responsible for at least twice the emissions of the fossil fuel used to power the plane. If you want to cut emissions from planes:

1) Reduce total number of flights 2) Move as many flights as possible from summer to winter and from day to night 3) Fly lower and slower

The last will INCREASE fuel burned, but will reduce vapor trails.

Bottom line: Airplanes are one area we don't have technical solutions, at least not in the sense that we can continue to fly as much and as fast as we do today. Even truly sustainable fuel would not change that. We don't even has technical solutions on the horizon (unless you count flying lower, slower and less as a technical solution). For example, electrically generated hydrogen - aside from all sorts of practical difficulties - doubles or triples the water vapor. That applies to any technical solution you care to mention.