[lbo-talk] Prospects for algae biofuels?

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:54:12 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I considered those two separate issue.
> The desirability/sustainability of jet flight as a means of transportation
> and the ability to cost effectively and sustainably provide plant oil based
> fuels from different algaes engineered for specific fuels.
> My question was concerning only the latter.
>
> John Thornton

All right, and my answer remains - not presently possible to effectively and sustainably provide plant oil based fuels from algae. Nor is it a near term prospect. I won't be unhappy if proven wrong, but will be very surprised. While at this point I think we have to go with the technology we have rather than waiting for breakthroughs, if I was to bet, I'd give odds we get cheap renewable electricity before we get cheap renewable fuel.